As an employer, you care about the well-being of your employees. As a person who’s probably done their fair share of moving, you also know the process isn’t easy. Luckily, whether you need to relocate a single employee or an entire team, there are plenty of ways to make relocation less of a headache. The onus, of course, is on you.
To that end, keeping your employees happy and stress-free means they’ll perform better for your business, so taking steps to ensure their move goes smoothly is essential for both parties.
Read on to learn how to help make relocation easier!
Exploring is Exciting (and Essential)
Moving to a new country, state, or town is an incredible opportunity to begin a new chapter. In many ways, it’s a brand-new adventure. Encouraging your employees to explore their future home prior to the move is not only a way to incite excitement, but it’ll also help ease the transition.
In the weeks and months leading up to moving day, help your employees get acclimated in advance by:
- Utilizing Company Connections – Moving to a new place is less intimidating when you have a few contacts to rely on. Put your transferees in touch with people you know in their new area to help them begin growing their network prior to their arrival.
- Making Travel Arrangements – Depending on how much travel your employees’ relocation requires, consider sending them on a day-trip or weekend to allow them to acclimate with their new area. This will allow them to scope out everything from the best neighborhoods to the most delicious local coffee shops.
- Opening up the Office – Allowing your employees to spend a few days working out of their new office will help them visualize the transition. You can also treat this as a fun team-building exercise.
Clarify the Logistics
Relocating employees involves a ton of moving pieces—literally. It’s important to outline the logistics succinctly. You don’t want any confusion to interfere with an already stressful process.
Discussing the questions below with your employees ahead of time will help keep everyone on the same page.
- What moving expenses will your company cover?
- Which expenses are their responsibility?
- When is the expected start date?
- How much PTO will your company cover?
- Who should your employee contact with questions about the relocation process?
Leave the Heavy Lifting to the Pros
You might not be able to take all the mental stress out of moving, but you can take the physical stress away by employing professional movers. Hiring a team to handle packing boxes, carrying heavy furniture, and safely transferring precious belongings from one home to another will take a significant load off your employees’ shoulders.
The less your employees have to think about how to get their couch down five flights of stairs or how to bubble wrap their family heirlooms, the more they’ll be able to focus on the task at hand. How things go on moving day can impact how your employees feel about the overall process, so it’s important to hire a company that specializes in corporate relocation.
Provide a Warm Welcome
Making your employees feel welcomed is paramount. Relocating requires a lot of time, effort, and dedication from your employees, so sweetening their arrival is, to some end, a well-deserved reward.
Extend a warm welcome to employees in their new location by:
- Having their desk/office space ready
- Setting up computers, printers, etc. ahead of time
- Working with your HR department to organize and prepare paperwork
- Setting up keys, ID badges, etc.
- Integrating them into the new office with a welcome lunch
- Curating a gift package to make the move easier
Being patient and understanding is also key. Let your employees know that you understand the stress of moving by encouraging them to ask questions, prioritize their mental health, and take the time they need to adjust.
Your Support Won’t Go Unnoticed
You’re lucky to have great employees who are willing to relocate for your business, and your employees are lucky to work for a company that’s dedicated to making the process as seamless as possible.
By following the steps above, your employees will start the next chapter of their professional career on the right foot. You’ll be glad you went the extra mile when your employees are happy and productive in their new location!
Gate-Maker.com is a tech support company with a vision to inform, empower, and showcase Tech Entrepreneurs in order to bridge the gap between starting and becoming successful Tech Entrepreneurs.